1980 Ouimet Trophy Donated for U.S. Senior Open Championship
The Francis D. Ouimet Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the U.S. Senior Open champion. In 1894, the Tuxedo Club (N.Y.) invited three other clubs to compete in the first American inter-club tournament. While there is still some dispute as to who actually won, The Country Club in Brookline, Mass., returned home with the trophy, which remained in the club’s possession until the mid-1950s, when it was loaned to the USGA Museum for exhibition. As the USGA prepared for the first U.S. Senior Open in 1980, The Country Club suggested the trophy be used as the championship trophy.